Wednesday, February 7, 2007

The History of my Nickname

At my parents anniversary party, my father kept calling me by my nickname and since then I've had several people ask me how that came about. So here is the story of how Lisa turned into Weed.

When I was just a wee little tot, probably 2-3 years old, my uncle came for a visit. He brought along his five kids and I was in heaven because I had all of those kids to play with. Well, one of my cousins, who is 2 years older then me, had a terrible lisp when he was little and couldn't pronounce his L's or S's very well. I don't remember this as I was too young, but from what I've heard from my parents, every time he would yell for me to come play that day, it would come out as "Hey Weda, come swing with me" or "Hey Weda, come play with the baby lambs". My parents got a real kick out of the way he said my name and decided to call me that at home from that day on. Eventually Weda was shortened to Weed and hence, my nickname was born. Lovely, huh?

So, No, I'm not a big marijuana user. I've never used drugs nor do I plan to do so in the future. Weed is just a loving moniker that was bestowed on me by my loving and naive parents. It is pretty much only used by my family also. My friends never called me that during school, mainly because of the drug innuendo although now that I think about it maybe they should have. I might have been a more popular kid in those days:)

No comments: