Monday, December 18, 2006

Christmas Memories

I miss the days when the kids were small enough to visit Santa. I have noticed that Christmas just isn't as exciting as it used to be for me. The excitement is still there, but not as much as when the kids couldn't keep still from it. I remember one year when my daughter was about 5 years old. It was a few days before Christmas. We lived in a trailer and she didn't know how Santa was going to get inside to leave her presents since we didn't have a fireplace. Well, I took her outside and showed her the vent that the furnace exhaust came out of. It was just a pipe sticking out of the roof, but I said that Santa would be coming down that. He's magic, you know, and can shrink down small enough to fit. Anyway, she was satisfied with that answer so we went back inside. I forgot about the conversation truthfully and we went about the holidays as usual. Just a few years ago, she told me that she had HEARD Santa come that Christmas Eve. I asked her to tell me about it and this is what she told me:

She was laying in bed, almost asleep, when she heard this loud boom come from the hall. She jumped out of bed and peeked underneath her bedroom door. She said she didn't see anything except a pair of boots! She just knew it was Santa and if she didn't go back to bed that he wouldn't leave her any gifts.

I had to stop and think for several minutes what it could have possibly been. My hubby had stayed up late that night to put a few of the gifts together and he mentioned that when he walked back to the bathroom he had tripped and banged into the furnace door. We figure that is the boom that she heard. The boots though are still a mystery. Hubby was barefoot when he went back so it wasn't his shoes that my daughter saw. Wow! Do you think that she really did see Santa's boots? I guess only Santa knows:)

No comments: