Thursday, August 9, 2007

My grandma

Last Friday, my grandmother, who turned 99 years old on July 21st, had to be admitted to the hospital because of massive bleeding. They ended up transfusing her with 4 pints of blood and she stayed there for 4 days. Tuesday evening she was transferred to our local nursing home to rebuild her strength before, hopefully, going home. Today was the first day that I've made it in to see her. When we got to her room, she was asleep in her chair, but she did wake up and carry on a decent conversation for about an hour. She ate lunch and afterwards started nodding off so we (mom, me and my kids) left her to get some rest.

I am keeping my fingers crossed and saying several prayers each day that she is able to go back to her home. She has lived on her own since my grandfather passed away in 1985 so is very used to her independence. But, I also know that she is 99 years old and when your body gets to be that age it doesn't bounce back as quickly or as often as it did when you were younger so it is highly possible that she will not be able to go back to her home again.

I am saying many prayers each day that it doesn't come to her spending the last of her lifetime in a nursing home. I know she wants to be in HER home with HER things and spend her life with the people that she loves.

No comments: