Friday, January 13, 2006

Friday the 13th

If I were a superstitious person, I'd still be in bed with the covers pulled over my head. But I'm not.

It has been a hectic week here though. My son swears that it's because today is Friday the 13th that there have been so many problems this week. To start off, I woke up sicker then a dog Monday morning. Thought it was the flu, but have now come to think it is more like bronchitis instead. The coughing and hacking. The fever. Ugh. Will I ever feel better? God, I sure hope so.

My daughter has also been sick. She's better now though. Young bodies seem to bounce back so much quicker then the older ones.

My son, however, isn't going to be bouncing anywhere for awhile. Yesterday, I got a call from his school nurse, asking if I could come pick him up and take him to the doctor because he'd fallen during recess and hurt his wrist. It was swollen and he couldn't move it. She thought xrays would be a good idea. So, even though I felt like crap, I drove into town, picked him up and took him to the medical center. After waiting only a few minutes, they called him into an exam room and looked him over, sent him downstairs for xrays then back up to the exam room while the doctor looked them over. Unfortunately, he did have a break or buckle fracture as she called it. The bone didn't actually break, but buckled up. They put a splint on his wrist and he has to wear it for four weeks. If, after that amount of time, he's healing then he'll keep the splint. If he's not healing then they'll go to a regular cast for six weeks. So, he's not happy and he swears it is all because today is Friday the 13th. Even though he hurt himself on the 12th:) The doctor also told him that he can't participate in any contact sports or PE for the next month. He's really annoyed about that because he was involved in a championship basketball tournament and his team was one of the top contenders for first place.

A bit of good news did come from all this mayhem though. I hopped on the scale this morning to a 2 lb. loss for the week! Granted, I've not eaten much, no NS food at all actually, and know that's why the weight has disappeared, but I'll take it anyway. I hope once I start eating again that it doesn't come back, but if it does oh well. At least I'll be able to enjoy a meal again. Yesterday, even bland mashed potatoes tasted bad! And I'm a mashed potato fanatic.

So anyway, I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend. Mine will be spent trying to feel better and tending to my son.

1 comment:

Karon said...

So sorry to hear about your son and the injury. Hoping that it heals okay and he can be back doing the things he loves shortly.

Congrats on the two pounds. Though you've been sick (and I'm sorry to hear it) I'm with you. A loss is a loss and I'd take it too. Hope you and your daughter feel better soon, sweetie!