Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Does This Mean He's Addicted?

I love my hubby dearly. He's sweet, kind, funny, all the good stuff. However, there is one characteristic that I'm not overly fond of and that is that he is addicted, yes I said addicted, to pizza! I'm not kidding. He could eat pizza 3 meals a day, 7 days a week and never get tired of it. He's been like this forever so it's not a surprise to me. At least once a week since we've been married, he has had pizza for a meal. He also has an all-time favorite restaurant (Chicago's Pizza) that we go to once a month, if not more. The kids and I are constantly joking with him and saying that he is addicted to their pizza. We were JOKING, but apparently we were closer to the truth then we knew.

Two weeks ago, we were going to go to Chicago's Pizza to eat dinner and when we got there, they had a sign on the front doors saying they were out of business. No reason, just that they weren't there anymore. My dear hubby was heart broken. He loved their pizza...it was delicious and cheap...When he saw that the restaurant was no longer open, it was almost like he'd lost his best friend. He moped around the remainder of the weekend, but eventually said that he would find another pizza place to know and love.

We all thought he'd gotten over the loss of his dear friend, but last night proved us wrong. When hubby came home from work, he said that he wanted to go out for dinner. I am not one to pass up a night of not having to cook so I told the kids to get ready and then we were off. I thought we'd just go to one of our favorite places in town since we all had to get up early the next day either for work or school. When hubby drove out of town, I thought that he was wanting to hit one of the restaurants in the next town over instead. They have a few more popular chains over there then we do here in our little town. So, we're driving along on the interstate when the exit comes up. Hubby, however, is not slowing down. He drives right past. Ok, so maybe we're going to the other side of town. There's an exit there too and several restaurants so I say nothing and go along for the ride. Second exit comes up and he's in the wrong lane and isn't slowing down and we bypass that one too. Hmm, now I'm wondering so I ask "Where in the world are we going?".

Hubby gets a wicked gleam in his eye and says "It's a surprise" and keeps on driving. All of a sudden, it hits me. We're going almost to INDIANAPOLIS because there is another Chicago's Pizza there. OMG! Who in their right mind drives for over an hour to get pizza? Apparently, my hubby does. I asked him if he had possibly called ahead to make sure they were open. Since our Chicago's had closed, I thought it might be a big possibility that the entire chain went under. No, he hadn't called. He knew in his heart that they would be open. I made the comment that I really hoped we didn't drive all that way to find them closed. He just smiled. I asked if he knew their hours and he assured me that they were open until 10pm.

So, at 8:01pm, we pull into their parking lot. There are about 7 cars there so hubby parks and we all get out of the car, stretch our weary legs and start to walk up to the front door...only to be greeted with the restaurant personnel SHUTTING OFF THE LIGHTS!!! My hubby was so mad. He went on up to the door. The kids and I got back in the car (Hey, it was cold:) He knocked and one of the waitresses came and opened the door. I guess he asked if they were closed for the night and she said yes, it had been slow so they were closing early. He told her that we'd driven all the way from ILLINOIS to get their pizza, couldn't they please stay open for us? She obviously said no and I truthfully didn't blame her. She'd probably been itching to get out of there and go home all evening. Needless to say, hubby was peeved.

The drive back home was very quiet although I remember hearing a few snickers from the back seat where our kids were trying not to laugh. We ended up eating at Applebee's, which was very good, but you could tell that hubby was not happy. The moral of this long, drawn out post? If you are craving food from a restaurant that is in a town almost 100 miles away, call before you drive all that way. You never know when the restaurant will close early.

1 comment:

Crazy Lady said...

Oh my! I cannot the car ride home after driving that far for pizza!