Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore!

That's what I was beginning to think last night whenever tornado sirens and warnings started going off here. Thankfully, we didn't get any damage, but boy the kids and I were sure scared. It started out just raining and we really didn't think it was going to be that bad. Then we turned on the evening news and there were warnings out for our county and surrounding ones. I think the only color on that weather radar was RED. The line of storms stretched from the north to the south of us and was several counties wide. The weather guy kept saying there was hail and wind gusts up to 65 mph! The kids and I were watching when all of a sudden the power went out and the wind decided at that exact moment to pick up one of our patio chairs and slam it into the side of the house. My daughter screamed, I jumped and my son took off for his closet. Thankfully, the power came back on in just a few seconds and we were able to see what all the hubbub was. And drag my son out of the closet. lol We also got flashlights and a battery powered radio in case the power decided to go off again.

Thankfully, the storms passed through quickly and there was no major damage in our area. There were some trees down or uprooted and the power was out in some areas. My hubby, who'd been in town at a city council meeting, said there was a blown transformer across from Casey's gas station that was shooting sparks all over the place, but other then that he didn't really see much damage in town either.


Today the weather is much calmer....and MUCH COLDER! High yesterday was 62 degrees, today it is 21! Talk about a big difference. Tonight we're supposed to get some snow, but only maybe a dusting, if that. I have been almost constantly saying that I am ready for spring to get here, but after the scary storms last night maybe I'm not as ready as I thought I was.

No comments: