Sunday, July 2, 2006

When it rains, it pours

I hate that saying, but it is so true when things tend to go wrong for me and my family. It never is just one small thing, it is always more. This has been the cruddiest weekend I've had for a long time.

It started Saturday with hubby getting into a big argument with one of our employees. I just knew that 1) hubby was going to have a stroke from the stress or 2) the employee was going to just up and quit and leave us hurting for help. Thankfully they were able to work things out, at least for now.

The next not so wonderful thing happened Saturday evening when my hubby and kids decided to light off some fireworks. Now, I am NOT a fan of fireworks, never have been and never will be. I don't like them, they scare me. I worry every year when they are outside setting them off that someone is going to get hurt or they'll start a fire. Well, this year my worries came true. I was inside at the computer, listening as one thing popped after another when all of a sudden my daughter comes flying inside "MOM, dad needs you outside quick! The field is on fire!" I thought she was joking at first because she didn't sound too panicked, but when I looked out the bedroom window there it was a ring of fire in the wheat field across the road from our house and my hubby frantically beating at the flames with his shirt. I called the fire department then ran out to see if I could help. We hooked up the hose and formed a bucket brigade. Thankfully they had harvested the wheat the day before so it was just stubble out there, but it still burned pretty quick. We were able to put it out before the fire department got out here, but in the process of trying my hubby got some pretty bad burns on his leg. They are second degree so not as bad as they could have been, but still.

And now finally to top off this wonderful (i say sarcastically) weekend, our ac has stopped working. We came home this evening to a house that was almost 90 degrees inside, the ac buzzing noisily out back. And of course this week is supposed to be hot and humid, highs in the 90's, until Thursday. DAMMIT, why does everything have to happen all at once? I'm so sick of it, but you know I'm just going to go hop in the tub and light some candles and relax. Hopefully tomorrow morning will be better and things will get back on track. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one anyway.

No comments: