Tuesday, July 4, 2006

Hubby update

We had to make a trip to the doctor today for my hubby. He broke out with a fever yesterday and that is a sign of infection so I forced him to go to the clinic today. I'm so glad that I made him go too. The doctor looked at his leg and told him that it was as close to a 3rd degree burn as you could get without actually having one. He also said that hubby really should have gone to the ER that night right after it happened instead of just listening to the EMT that came out with the fire department. (I told him so!) His burns are now infected and he has to take the rest of the week off work and keep his leg elevated. The burns are not healing and his leg is pretty swollen. The doctor gave him a shot of high dose antibiotics and he is also taking them orally. They said if he didn't listen and stay off the leg that he could possibly LOSE IT! I hope that shocked him enough to listen. I'll tie him down if I have to just to make sure he does.

I don't know if I can handle dealing with another person with burns. As my friends and family know, my son had 3rd degrees burns when he was 2 years old. He pulled a slow cooker full of broth down off the counter and onto his head and shoulder. He had to have skin grafts on his arm. The doctor said if hubby's burns don't start to heal that he might also have to go through that. We don't have insurance now (thankfully we did when it happened to my son) so if he has to have surgery I don't know what we will do. I'm hoping and praying though that it doesn't come to that.

Other then that, things have calmed down here. Thankfully we have people who can cover for my hubby at work and I am home to take care of him and make sure he listens to the doctor. We won't be going out to watch the fireworks tonight in town, but I think we've all had enough fireworks this year.

I hope everyone else has a happy and SAFE 4th of July.

No comments: